Casares Pueblo work in progress

I think there are many pages to do with Casares and its history. Certainly people who lived there shortly after the second world war found it a grim cold place in the winter, one elderly Dutch man who I met in Marbella and who took a dislike t two works that I did said that when he was there in Casares just after the war you could still almost taste the blood in the street, in the house he lodged in, there was no sun all winter and no way of making heat. I left the place as soon as spring came for somewhere warmer to thaw myself out physically and mentally.

To a great extent that is what I had painted after walking through the town one late winters sunset and down the road to where the memorial stands, the two works are still unsold, they are similar to me to the paintings I did of the room where people changed before they were led to the gas chambers, its highlighted in an earlier blog. Both situations have great similarities, I think, one day people living together and the next day slaughtering each other and for what maybe its becase they lost there beliefs or because weak politicians had lost the strength to hold the middle ground and extremism had been allowed to flourish.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts