Oil Paintings West Pennine and Rossendale by Rob Miller


The new stables detail
Oil on Canvas
30cmx30cm


Holcombe Road farm
Oil on canvas
30cmx30cm

The new stables late summer
Oil on Canvas
30cmx30cm


Farm near Haslingden summer
Oil on Canvas
30cmx30cm

It takes me an age to get to the easel to paint in oils; there's no reason behind the delay at all but there it is I've confessed; once there and I have cleaned of the old dried paint on the palette and sorted out my knifes and got started holding the palette close to me;  I stop fighting with the paint; and I start to get the smooth texture that can be moulded and moved;  I stop thinking that I'm making a mess and start to live the experience if you know what I mean. Painting then grabs a hold of me and I love it; love doing it the process is everything and the journey to completion is a daily lesson.

Oil is so different from acrylic; when I paint with acrylic I use old white plates and saucers and  I'm always washing them clean along with the brushes. Oil on the other hand is far messier especially with palette knife and I think the pigment carries and stains more than acrylic pigment and polymer does. Both are fun but as a painter I think for me oil wins its just more creative and technically more challenging.
I'm using a number of resources for this well four really, my old faithful book Cezanne in Provence, Kyfan Williams wonderful palette knife paintings of snowdonia,  an English translation of a  recent great Modern Oil painting book book I found in Barcelona its by two Spanish painters Maria Fernanda Canal and Roser Perez and the post 1940's bible my dads old copy Carlsons Guide to Landscape painting.

Comments

Popular Posts