A painting in oils of Portuark misted sands

Portuark Misted sands. The more you read sometimes the less you see. Well in my case anyhow. There's an interplay that happens constantly when your painting as your retention of images like a slide show sends you a variety of  forms hues and shapes. Also, I read in the Guardian newspaper how another artist from South America can see over 1 million colours. In this painting here of Portuark I became engrossed in painting someone else's memories abstracted from their Fathers Journal that in turn  put a collection of pieces of knowledge in my mind...which popped up as I wanted them to do in a sort of random thought process as I painted. Coming to the point of this babble are my thoughts that the grasses are very important due to their special relationship with saltwater and sheep the Mohair which are unique to these parts of Western Scotland.This grass or thick thatch forms an erosion resistant carpet that prevents the beach from being washed away. Its been erodes  more and more of course by humans as holiday makers come in their droves of minivans and park and walk all over the fragile carpet.  Secondly the rocks are important as is the sea which is special for its tidal range and finally the Isles of Mull etc which provide the backdrop. I also made the clouds more important  I liked their shape and their constant change of form.  

More details and opportunities to collect a piece of art www.robmillerartist.org

Comments

Popular Posts