Pendle Commission Oil Paint on Canvas 3


We now have a title for this piece which is "Big End Pendle". An old and accurate name which describes this very steep slope perfectly. 

My apologies for the large signature on this 50x50cm piece It was made on my Iphone 6 plus mobile screen which isn't at its cleanest when my hands are full of oil and all over its touch screen. Also for those who have asked I will dig out my stage 2 image and post that soon.

About managing the process of painting. I have as ever interchanged the sky with others, as August in Lancashire, turned darker, colder and wetter. Yes, I am much influenced by my walks rather than photographs. As I progress through a paintings time on easel, the weather and tone can change. I don't think that makes for a problem , unless I run out of patience with myself (which is sometimes a very good thing) or the structure of the painting isn't right. Lately after the storms have gone by, some hours later a clearing patch of blue will be followed by lines of magnificent cumulus that reach all the way from earth to heaven. Inspired by this I set to and repainted the sky's light and I'm finally happy with it. 

I do love this part of my home county,  it has a freshness to it. Despite the sometimes gloomy bulk of Pendles Big End the area is wonderfully light and airy and the grasses and trees are bright leafed. |I think this may be due to the Reef Limestone  outcrop that rises just to the left of the painting. I suppose this is why this part of Pendle is so similar to the three peaks whereas the Sabden and  Roughlee areas tend to echo the Millstone Grit morands across the valley in the South Pennines.

I once walked through here on my way to Bell Busk Farm near Coniston Cold from Blackburn with my brother one school summer holiday when we had grown bored with Whalley New Road and wanted adventure.  On another occasion in the 6th Form my Geology teacher gave a wonderful day tour exploring the reef limestone, all its amazing fossils and geological and geographical circumstance. Mr James died some years later I heard,  to young. He was an exuberant inspiration to me and many others.. Happy memories.  I climbed in the quarry sometime later and badly hurt my back  not a good memory though the back pain has been a constant reminder of the place.



Comments

Popular Posts