A contemporary painting of Lancashire's Trough of Bowland Artwork for Sale

Winters here Trough of Bowland Lancashire
oil on linen board
40x50cm

I started painting this piece en plein air a couple of years ago and placed it to one side because I was busy with a couple of commissions. There was also a  couple of problems that I had with it. Mostly because I was in part determined to change my palette at the time and see some of Cezanne's greens appear. The subject matter was also an issue.  I was trying to move away from my fixation with old farm buildings gable ends when  set against fields and darker woodland. As well as other natural phenomena that sloped as most of Lancashire's hill country does.  The exception is either the flat of a roof or door lintel are in this case on the painting here the flat line of a distant Stocks Reservoir beyond the lovely village of  Slaidburn and the dark belt of Gisburn Forest in the distance.

I remembered all of my previous thoughts on colour when I was nearly finished. This morning  I had automatically moved towards Olive Green and ultramarine as the main balancing colour once you do that infront of the easel than the choice of yellows and reds becomes easy.

art for sale tel 07841 140562



Comments

Popular Posts