Paintings of gardens developing themes poo and the Royal Academy Of Arts



I've painted individual flowers a few years ago...poppies that I grew myself to commemorate my relatives who died lived during the great war, they were large paintings of a single flower painstakingly painted in multiple washes of every red I could find in acrylic paint...I allowed no white or other color to be present...now Im moving on after a decades break ... to paint gardens of joy and light you can see more of my fumblings on this on my blog site http:/www.robmilleratlingholm.org

In terms of gardens though one of  the best painting I have ever seen is by John Piper titled "under a potting shed"  it is a huge triptych that used to hang in the Whitworth Gallery Manchester  but now on the internet  I can find little reference to them...but however  the image is fixed in my mind...knowing that gardens can be light and bright as well as dark mouldy and full of creepy crawlies ...I feel that I want to paint both...because out of creepiness comes light ... the best roses are after all grown in shit and human shit is reputedly the best fertilizer as is pissing in a watering can full of water. The thought of that brings out the boy in me... maybe thats why I love a large jug of ale and a walk to the garden shed ..anyhow..moving quickly on:-

Heres an article link to Monets Garden  followed by some humble doodles by myself

Flowers Monets gardens,  Joaqins Sorolla  gardens of light or  under a potting shed 

Using the work of Monet as a starting point, this landmark exhibition examines the role gardens played in the evolution of art from the early 1860s through to the 1920s.

Trace the emergence of the modern garden in its many forms and glories as we take you through a period of great social change and innovation in the arts. Discover the paintings of some of the most important Impressionist, Post-Impressionist and Avant-Garde artists of the early twentieth century as they explore this theme.

Please note, paid tickets have now sold out. We recommend that Friends of the RA reserve free tickets in advance to guarantee entry at their preferred time.

Monet, arguably the most important painter of gardens in the history of art, once said he owed his painting “to flowers”. But Monet was far from alone in his fascination with the horticultural world, which is why we will also be bringing you masterpieces by Renoir, Cezanne, Pissarro, Manet, Sargent, Kandinsky, Van Gogh, Matisse, Klimt and Klee.

For these artists and others, the garden gave them the freedom to break new ground and explore the ever-changing world around them. Highlights include a remarkable selection of works by Monet, including the monumental Agapanthus Triptych, reunited specifically for the exhibition, Renoir’s Monet Painting in His Garden at Argenteuil and Kandinsky’s Murnau The Garden II.

As our galleries are bathed in the colour and light of more than 120 works, see the garden in art with fresh eyes.



East Barn Garden  Brinscall acrylics 2016 Rob Miller RSA

Lingholm walled garden water lilies Rob Miller RSA


Lingholm walled garden west gate Rob Miller RSA

Comments

Popular Posts