Painting of the first snowfall Lancashire Pennines on canvas Rob Miller

The first snow West Pennines
acrylic and ink on canvas
61cmx61cmx4cm

The first snow West  Pennine
edge detail

The first snow West Pennines detail 1
This is the second painting of my new West Pennine series,  nearly complete it portrays  the first flush of the recent snow falls  this weekend.  It has taken me two full days to paint but I consider it well worth the effort of  getting the paint quickly onto the canvas in numerous paint laden  layers scratched, pulled, pushed and rubbed so that it makes a good fresh representation of the memory of the Saturday walk I did through a very diverse habitat  a wet meadow that  is slowly recovering from overgrazing by sheep. Natures reaction to itself and its way of mending itself continues to amaze me,  

The morning  I sat and sketched the views I saw five deer in a group, a fox, a couple of what I thought were small hawks and an endless chat of small bird life all of which suddenly fell quiet and the land  stilled as the first band of snow swirled across the sky chasing a straggle of extremely  loud honking geese. Not surprising the land was in shock the warm winter to date had lulled everything there including myself into a false sense of 'never ending autumn here comes spring'  goodness,  the snow fall made a shock of white cold on the top of the moor changing everything, now there is a real fight for life in the frozen mire, the tadpoles all frozen oh no 




Comments

Popular Posts