Oil Paintings of Pendle Lancashire witches country

Two country Lane views Rimington and Twiston
Pendle, Lancashire, UK
Oil on paper
25 cm x18 cm


These two Ribble Valley paintings are both views of the quiet country lanes below Pendle Hill and to its North West,  the top one is a view from Twiston Lane and the lower painted earlier in the day is a view along Rimington Lane. The day was overcast with the kind of silver mist that you get around Pendles bulky shadow, I thought that I'd work in oil on paper which is a departure from my normal practice, the paint is applied loosely well mixed and watered with turps substitute. I'm glad I made the change to oil on paper as I found it a delight to paint with and much easier than watercolour. 


Incidentally can anyone tell me why Pendle is given Hill as a descriptor when all around we have fells and moors? A free small sketch of the above scene for the correct answer which as yet I honestly don't know so I suppose you could tell me anything. 


Finally if your interested I will be doing a workshop on this form of painting oil and pencil on paper  in February from my studio in Bolton  please contact me. Rob







Comments

Popular Posts