Great Gable East Face A painting by Rob Miller

Great Gable Fell, East Face
Acrylic on Canvas
40cmx50cm
I sketched this distant view of Napes and Westmorland Crags outlining the flank of Great Gable ages ago when accompanied by my constant companion Benjamin Disraeli (Ben for short and for when he was good)  my sheepdog, who has been sadly  absent in the flesh from my side for some years now. I sketched it again,  minus the  bored frolicking and stone collecting antics of my best pal about three years ago, I took a photo from half way up the track to Sprinkling Tarn. Great Gable is a great fell, the mecca of fell walkers, which to quote a fellow Blackburnian Mr Wainwright has "a thousand perspiring pedestrians across the top from dawn til dusk" Although my dog Bens ashes lie on the summit of Winter Hill in the West Pennines  I like to think of him sitting on the slab on which Gables summit cairn sits, high above Westmorland watching the ravens wheel and whirrrr and the sun setting over Wastwater.."go on go an get em, good lad Ben".

Comments

Popular Posts