Los Reales de Seirra Bermeja Landscape Painting


I spent some hours working outside on the Los Reales Seirra Bermeja.
The 2 images above are details taken from the Los Reales painting as dusk approached.
The image below is the canvas wedged against a table.

.
.
As a painter the atmosphere on the Pico or Peak is breathtaking. I painted with acrylic and charcoal on a 1m x 1m canvas. I was initially stationed with the canvas propped against a fir tree above a near vertical 700 metre slope of crags. Far below the white forest road snakes down to a very blue sea. The abrupt change in altitude 1000m in aprox 5k makes for constant cloud and winds which give a temperature change from 22c in November down to 4c. At times it was more like flying a kite than painting on a canvas, one minute I was working in a windless, hot, sauna and the next minute I was freezing in a strong gust, with ice crystals falling to within 2 metres of the ground before they melted. As the gusts of wind became stronger I had to chase after the 1 metre square canvas across the mountain, fortunately it went up the slope. I then decided that I would have to move location in order to wedge it against a table and be able to focus on my work in some safety. At the end of the day I had to work with the canvas flat on the table top, I used piled stones to stop it from flying away. The ground looks quite normal in the image, in reality it is a very sharp small gorse like plant.
.
As I painted I watch an Ibex graze and Eagles hunt close by. I completed the basic sections of the painting in 4 hours trying to catch the fleeting light as dusk descended. I think I will leave the painting in these dusk shades and tidy up some of the marks on the terrace studio at Casares.
.
Next week I shall take a second large canvas along with some breakfast and aim to start in the early morning sun.
.
.
I have added some information translated from a Malaga natural information centre below.
.
.
Los Reales The Pico or mountain peak is high above Estapona and is located at the southwestern side of the Serranía de Ronda.
.
.
The most attractive site of these mountain range are the little Spanish fir forests of Los Reales, consisting of 1.236 Ha. and protected since 1989 being declared as Natural Site.
Its ground, together with its smooth and relative rainy climatology, achieve a very special flora and vegetation, among them about 50 different vegetable species, considered to be rare by its botanical interest or by being in danger of dissapearance.The forests mainly consist of the Spanish fir, but there can also be found pine trees, junipers, cork trees and kermes oaks.
Concerning the fauna it is remarkable to see, the Spanish Ibex, the wild cat, the roe deer and the mongoose. And among the birds of prey, the eagle, the hawk, the kestrel and the owl.
Los Reales are part of the mountain range of Sierra Bermeja, which, through de 35Kms. separates Ronda from the Mediterranean Coasts. The mountain range has got an average height of 1.000 m. and is located between the Sierra de las Nieves and the pico de Los Reales, taking a southwestern - northeastern direction parallel to the Coast. At its very sharp sides there can be found some trees.The colour of its red rocks gives the name to the mountain range and it can be easily seen between the white coloured lime stones of Sierra de las Nieves and of the Sierra Blanca de Marbella.

Comments

Popular Posts